Sunday, April 5, 2009

Frosted Mini-Chip Peanut Butter Cupcakes

I decided a while back that I have no choice but to jump on the cupcake bandwagon with the rest of the world! I love the option for personalized decorating and the ability to make these adorable individualized treats for someone special to enjoy. My friend Christy and I both jumped on this recipe in a new cookbook that she received for her birthday. (I kind of feel like it was my birthday as well, since she was nice enough to share her new books with me!) The original recipe was for a simple peanut butter cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Christy had the idea to add the mini chocolate chips to the batter and also as a final garnish. I honestly can't imagine them without this addition. They were wonderful! My husband was excited as well as one of his favorite candies is the Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. He decided that this really was the cupcake form of it. So good and definitely one we will be making again.

Just a side note. . . when making the frosting, we came dangerously close to adding more liquid. It seemed way too thick and definitely needed something. I'm glad we were patient because it eventually loosened up and came together perfectly. It might even be my new favorite frosting! Enjoy!

Frosted Mini-Chip Peanut Butter Cupcakes
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter (we used smooth)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips (plus additional for garnish)

Frosting:
1 cup softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 cups confectioners' sugar

Put 16 muffin paper cases in a muffin pan. Put the butter, sugar, and peanut butter in a bowl and beat togeter for 1-2 minutes or until well mixed. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla. Sift in the flour and baking powder and then, using a metal spoon, fold them into the mixture, alternating with the milk. Carefully fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the paper cases. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

To make the frosting, put the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and, using a electric whisk, beat together until smooth. Sift the confectioners' sugar into the mixture, then beat together until well mixed. When the cupcakes are cold, spread teh frosting on top of each cupcake, swirling it with a round-bladed knife. Sprinkle the top with additional mini chocolate chips. Store the cupcakes in the refrigerator.

Source: Adapted by Christy's Kitchen Creations, originally from Perfect Baking


2 comments:

  1. You probably caught on to the fact that I'm on a major cupcake kick lately (after the kids' parties), so we will have to try this recipe! They look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these cup cakes look amazing. I think I'm going to take them to our Easter dinner. Who doesn't enjoy a good cupcake?

    ReplyDelete