Friday, April 24, 2009

Chicken Scallopine

This chicken dish does not disappoint! If you have something coming up that you need a special dish for (you know-- like any day that ends in a 'y') I would highly recommend it! It came together much easier than I had expected and really presented well. By pounding out the chicken, it cooked quickly and stayed very moist. It had a great flavor and reminded me a lot of a dish that I used to get in an Italian restaurant. So good! I served it with linguine as was recommended, but I think it would go really well with most any pasta. Make sure that you use a white wine that you would drink on its own. The wine flavor was very prominent in the sauce, so it is important to get a wine that you enjoy. You won't use the whole bottle to make the dish, so you might as well enjoy a nice glass with your meal!

Chicken Scallopine
1 pound linguine
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
flour
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
12 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
1 cup dry white wine
chicken broth (optional)
1 lemon
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 heaping tablespoon capers
fresh parsley

Cook pasta according to package directions (al dente). Flatten chicken breasts to uniform thickness. Salt and pepper both sides, then dredge in flour. Heat butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken breasts until golden brown (2-3 minutes per side--though mine took a bit longer than that). Remove to a plate and set aside.

Throw mushrooms into the pan and stir. Immediately pour in wine, then squeeze juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon. Stir to deglaze the pan, then cook vigorously for 1 minute, until sauce reduces. Reduce heat to low. Pour in cream and stir, then add capers and parsley, stirring again. Turn off heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Place pasta and chicken on platter and cover with sauce. Generously sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Source: The Pioneer Woman

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, Sarah! What type of wine would you suggest using...you know I'm not very savvy when it comes to wine! I'm hoping I can convince Marcus to try this, if I just scrape the mushrooms off of his chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten scallopine before. It looks delicious! Would it be ok to substitute the win for broth? I use to keep wine for cooking, but my husband kept sneaking drinks of it until it was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,

    I think that might be what the optional chicken broth is for... I think it would still be good! Just another idea, sometimes when I don't have wine available I will substitute white grape juice. I think either one would work for you-- I think you'll love this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Word. Does this ever look delicious>. I am so so trying this. Perfect dish! PW has some great stuff.. ever tried her french breakfast puffs.. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow this looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks for visiting today!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks wonderful and impressive :)

    ReplyDelete