Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Broiled Parmesan Tilapia

I love seafood! When I go out, I love looking for new seafood dishes and will try most anything (as long as it's cooked-- I haven't been able to do sushi yet!). When it comes to cooking my own, however, I always seem to fall back on my standard salmon recipe. For a long time, salmon was all I would buy. I knew how to make it and I knew it was a safe dish that my husband would eat! My sister has been raving about how much she likes tilapia for quite a while, so I decided that it was about time to try it. She posted a similar recipe on her blog, Rachel vs. The Kitchen, only she warned that hers had a little bit of an extra 'kick' to it. I typically don't cook with a lot of spice, especially while I am nursing my little one. The poor thing would be up miserable all night if I did! I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and my husband and I both loved it. It was fast to cook, fast to prep, and had a wonderful flavor. My husband even said it might be a new favorite of his-- who knew! :) I'm anxious to have my sister try this one to see how it compares to hers. I will definitely be making it again!

Broiled Parmesan Tilapia

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
2 pounds tilapia fillets

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

Source: Allrecipes.com

4 comments:

  1. Sarah-this looks fabulous! I've yet to gain the courage to try cooking different fish dishes,but this looks wonderful and may force me to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a seafood fan. The texture or something gets to me. My friend makes Tilapia all the time and is always telling me it's a mild fish and I should give it a try. I may have to suck it up and try it because yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you finally tried (and liked it!) I'll be anxious to try this one--especially since you know I'm not a huge "spicy food" fan! The one I made did have a bit of a "kick"--I almost think I'd prefer your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tilapia is my very favorite fish - always looking for good recipes for it! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete