Thursday, June 11, 2009

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

This recipe is unlike any other pepper steak I have ever tried. Normally, pepper steak (at least the recipes I have made in the past) has a bit of a kick to it. This one really had a sweeter taste to it, making it much more kid friendly for my house. There really wasn't any heat to it at all, so if that is something you prefer, I would maybe add some pepper flakes to the meat while browning it. My husband and I both really enjoyed this meal, and I like it even more that it can sit in the crock pot for the day. This certainly makes it a quick and easy meal for once school is back in session this fall. I love coming home from work to a house filled with the smell of our dinner cooking.

One change I would make would be to add some different colored peppers instead of all green peppers. Peppers have been so expensive, lately, that I didn't go that route this time through! I served ours over rice and it was definitely a hit!

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
garlic powder to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cube beef bouillon
1/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste. (If you want yours to be more like a traditional pepper steak, add red pepper flakes at this point.) In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the seasoned beef strips. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker with meat. Stir in onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt. Cover, and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve over rice.

Source: Allrecipes.com

9 comments:

  1. We like peppersteak as well, and this looks very good indeed. I love the idea of using the crockpot. Will definitely be giving this one a try! Delicious post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful that you posted a crockpot recipe...things have been especially chaotic around here and I've found that I've been slacking a bit as far as trying new recipes--mostly b/c I'm just so wiped out by the end of the day. We, too, enjoy pepper steak and I like that you said it's a bit sweeter, b/c sometimes it can be a little too spicy for Jake. Your picture looks really good!!! I'm going grocery shopping today or tomorrow, so I'll be adding these ingredients to my list :)

    Happy Anniversary to you and Mike--I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pepper steak, adn it's even more of a bonus that it's in a crockpot! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of our favorites too!!! So, easy - you can't go wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pepper steak is great - about the only way I can get my husband to eat peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always looking for new crockpot recipes, and this one looks like a keeper!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good crockpot meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need some more crockpot recipes. I am printing this out tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great looking pepper steak. Crockpot comes out in the heat.

    ReplyDelete