Monday, June 15, 2009

Fish Tacos

This dish, for some reason, was incredibly hard to photograph. I kept going back and trying again and again-- even more once I tasted how delicious they were. I really wanted my picture to convince people to try them because they truly were great! Kathy had more luck on her blog-- so feel free to check hers out if you need some motivation! :)

I made these exactly as Kathy suggested, with the exception of the tortillas. My husband and I both prefer flour to corn tortillas, so we went that route instead. (Maybe I can blame my cruddy picture on that!) The only thing I will warn about is that I somehow bought the hottest green onions that I have ever tasted. I am a huge onion fan but this was too much even for me. It just overpowered the sauce a bit. I would adjust the number of onions used depending on the batch you find! It's always easier to add more than it is to take it away!

Fish Tacos
To make the sauce:
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (adjust depending on onion strength)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded and minced

To make the tacos:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds Tilapia fillets
Cooking spray
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas (I used flour)
2 cups shredded cabbage

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. To prepare the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and put in fridge to meld flavors. To prepare tacos, combine dry seasonings in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place fish in a bowl; break into pieces with a fork. While fish is cooking, heat tortillas. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with 1/4 cup cabbage and 1 tablespoon sauce.

Source: Three on Food

12 comments:

  1. Fish Tacos...hmmm?...you may have to talk me into this one. I'm sure these were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fish tacos! These sound terrific! I've had a couple of dishes that were tough to photograph as well. It's maddening isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish tacos are always good, but especially in the summer! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked them!!! They really were great!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves fish tacos. The sauce sounds like it would be good and any kind of taco!

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you think i could substitute with chicken? we are just not fish fans at our house. all the other ingredients sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love fish tacos - yours sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to try fish tacos for a long time, this may have sent me over the edge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. I love fish tacos and order then out often but have not made any myself.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmm - maybe I should make fish tacos this week! My husband loves them (he's had them a grand total of twice).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are too funny about your photo. I think it's terrific -- kind of moody and artistic, a Mediterranean feel to it, which would only enhance a fish dish even more. Well done, I say!

    ReplyDelete