Sunday, June 28, 2009

Chicken Bruschetta

My mom was just telling me about a really good bruschetta chicken dish that she and my sister had shared while out to dinner recently. Within that same week, I found this recipe on the Pillsbury Bake Off site and I knew I'd have to try it! I'm anxious for them to make it to see how it compares, but I was really happy with it! The method of broiling the chicken kept it very moist and the topping was the perfect accompaniment. The original recipe does call for canned mushrooms, but I did leave them out to stick with more of an 'authentic' bruschetta recipe. The only other tip is that the recipe calls for either fresh or dried basil. As basil has been fairly expensive lately, and my garden basil isn't quite ready yet, I went ahead and used the dried. It still tasted great, but I do think that this is one dish that does need the fresh. I think it would make a big difference and would make a good dish great!

Chicken Bruschetta
To make the chicken:
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

To make the topping:
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
3 medium Italian plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil sprigs, if desired

Spray broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; place on sprayed broiler pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until fork-tender and juices run clear. Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is tender, stirring occasionally. Add onion, chopped basil, tomatoes, vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook about a minute or until thoroughly heated.
To serve, arrange chicken on individual plates. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Top each serving with bruschetta mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with basil sprigs.

Source: Adapted from Pillsbury Bake-Off

15 comments:

  1. My favourite appy made into a chicken dish!?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy does this sound GOOD! Will certainly be preparing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this does sound delicious! Nice lazy Sunday dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to rat me out! Marcus didn't know we stopped for dinner that night ;) We're big fans of bruschetta, so we'll have to try this...I'll be anxious to see how it compares to that other chicken bruschetta recipe!

    Did you serve it with pasta?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from SITS - and now I'm starving! I love a good recipe and look forward to giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bookmarking this to make when my garden is overflowing with tomatoes and basil. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! I miss my fresh basil when I had a yard to garden in. The only other thing I would need with this dish is some crusty bread to soak up the rest of the topping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Visiting from SITS - we luv anything Italian here in CT and this looks like a great recipe to try! I write several blogs, like to cook and also have a recipe blog!
    Cindi @ Moomette's Magnificents

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so delicious. I make something similar called chicken caprese. Almost the same with fresh mozzarella diced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like it has wonderful flavor with the fresh tomato and herbs. Very pretty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumm. This looks great, I bet it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm, I love anything bruschetta!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful and fresh chicken dish!
    Thanks for visiting my site

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks just delicious! I've been browsing your blog and you have several recipes that I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delicious looking have that chicken! I have no doubt that is delish!

    ReplyDelete