Monday, February 2, 2009

Traditional Banana Bread


As mentioned in the previous post, we can't seem to use our bananas fast enough before they get too ripe to eat on their own. Banana bread is one of those old stand-bys that bring me right back to my childhood. This is one recipe that always turns out perfectly moist and has just the right amount of banana flavor. It is a great breakfast option, but my little boy also loves to eat it as an afternoon snack. It comes together very quickly and smells wonderful while baking!
Banana Bread
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired (I left these out due to allergy issues.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom only of a 9 x 5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter. Beat until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add bananas, milk, and vanilla, blending well. In a small bowl, combine flour, nuts, baking soda and salt, mixing well. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into the greased pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool completely before wrapping. Store in the refrigerator.
Source: Pillsbury: Best Muffins and Quick Breads

2 comments:

  1. I just so happen to have a couple of large, ripe bananas, so guess what I'll be making this afternoon?!? This recipe sounds really good--I think Jake and Maddie would both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on leaving out the nuts. I always loved adding a few chocolate chips to mine! I'm like Christy in that respect. I love chocolate in just about anything:)

    ReplyDelete