Monday, February 2, 2009

Banana-Blueberry Mini Loaves




My little one loves bananas, so they are restocked with each visit to the grocery store. No matter how many we buy, it never fails that there are a few left that don't get eaten before they get too ripe. I'm embarrased to say how often these simply get pitched, but whenever I can I try to make a loaf of banana bread with them. (The recipe for my traditional banana bread will be posted next!) I was searching for something a little different to do this time around, and came across this recipe for banana-blueberry mini loaves. I didn't have any mini loaf pans available so mine was made in a 9 x 5 loaf pan instead. The bread was incredibly moist and the blueberries gave it a really nice, unique punch. This is definitely a variety that I would try again!


(My friend Christy, from Christy's Kitchen Creations, suggested adding powdered sugar to the top of the bread and it was a great addition! I would highly recommend this before serving.)


Banana-Blueberry Mini Loaves


1 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

1 cup (2 medium) mashed ripe bananas

1/2 cup applesauce

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries


Heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease and flour the bottom only of three mini-loaf pans. In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil beating well. Add bananas, appleasauce, vanilla and eggs-- beating well again. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in blueberries. Pour into the greased and floured pans.


Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, then remove from the pans. Cool completely before wrapping. Store in the refrigerator.


(For the 9 x 5 loaf pan, I followed all directions, only baked for 60-70 minutes instead.)


Source: Adapted from Pillsbury: Best Muffins and Quick Breads






No comments:

Post a Comment