Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken


As explained in an earlier post, I am a huge Chinese food fan but have yet to find great Chinese food on the west side of Indy. I typically prefer a traditional beef and broccoli dish, but my husband always looks for a good sweet and sour chicken. When I found this recipe on Amber's Delectable Delights, I knew it was one that I would have to play with for him! The flavor of this dish was wonderful and certainly reminiscent of some of our favorite restaurants back up north. Amber recommends making an extra recipe of the sauce to pour over the finished chicken and I was glad that I had followed that advice. The sauce has a great flavor and most of the sauce used to cook the chicken was absorbed into it by the time it finished cooking. It was nice to have the extra sauce to pour over the rice.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.
Sauce ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn the chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stove top. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced-- about 6-8 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. You know how much we love Chinese food at my house, so I'll have to try this one out! I bet Jake and Maddie would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Doug and I used to have a favorite Chinese restaurant off Country Club but it closed. Now we can't find one we like. I really can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight...it was wonderful and easy too! My husband had been craving chinese for a couple of weeks and that's just not cheap for a family of 5! Thank you so much I will be making this again VERY soon! p.s. I found your blog through Kristy and Kristy's through Tracy's, who I've known since elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I've been making this for a while now and it is soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a good Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete