Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mustard-Roasted Fish


I know that on previous posts I have joked about my poor night-time photography. . . but this one truly deserves an apology of its own! I think I might have to break down and build a light box if any of my food pictures are going to look good enough to make! Despite the picture, I decided to post this one anyway because the recipe itself is so good that I would have felt guilty not sharing it!
The recipe itself calls for fish fillets, such as red snapper. I had sent my husband to the store looking for a nice piece of trout, and he came home instead with rainbow trout. I truly didn't want to cover such a flavorful fish with a rich sauce, but in an effort to not hurt his feelings, I decided to go ahead with it anyway. In all honesty, I wouldn't hesitate to make it this way again. It was such a delicious flavor combination and was perfect with this type of filet-- but I honestly think it would be great with most any type of fish. The only other change I made was due to the fact that he also couldn't find any 'creme fraiche' at our local store. Instead, I used a heavy cream and hoped for the best. (Online instructions for substitution recommended a recipe combining buttermilk and cream. For my use, the recipe came together just fine with only using the cream.) My husband and I both loved it and it is definitely one that I plan to make again!
Mustard-Roasted Fish
4 - 8 ounces fish fillets such as red snapper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounes creme fraiche
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons drained capers
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, or use an overproof baking dish. Place the fish fillets skin side down on the sheet pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Combine the creme fraiche, two mustards, shallots, capers, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Spoon the sauce evenly over the fish fillets, making sure the fish is completely covered. Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish, until it is barely done. (The fish will flake easily at the thickest part when it's done.) Be sure not to overcook it! Serve hot or at room temperature with the sauce from the pan spooned over the top.
Source: The Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics

No comments:

Post a Comment