Saturday, May 9, 2009

Salmon Patties with Lemon Dill Sauce

This is another one of those dishes from my childhood that make me feel like I am a little girl again! Just the smell of these patties frying brings many memories straight to mind. My mom used to make these all the time, normally with tuna instead of salmon. . . you can use either one depending on what you have or what is on sale. These patties have a nice delicate texture and are not too overwhelmingly 'fishy'-- meaning that you can probably disguise them enough to get little ones to eat them. My little boy was all about these, especially when he realized that they came with their own 'dippy'. :) I always serve mine with macaroni and cheese, just as my mother did. It's another tradition that I have no problem continuing!

Salmon Patties with Lemon Dill Sauce
2 small cans of tuna (in water) OR 1 large can salmon
1 cup finely crushed saltines
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (more if desired)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
salt and white pepper to taste

Lemon Dill Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 - 2 teaspoons dried dill weed

Drain and flake tuna (or salmon). Stir in cracker crumbs, celery, onion, mayonnaise, eggs, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Shape into 12 patties, using about 1/4 cup of mixture for each. Cook in a greased skillet for 8-10 minutes, turning once.

For sauce, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and dill weed. Mix well and spoon over patties.

Note: Alternate meal idea: serve tuna pattties in warmed, split pita bread with sauce, lettuce, tomato, and cheese.

2 comments:

  1. This is probably one of my favorite childhood recipes! I know Mom used to make them with tuna (which I always enjoyed), but you know how Marcus feels about tuna! He will, however, eat these salmon patties, as will Jake--now you've got me wanting to go out and get the ingredients! Did you serve them with mac and cheese? (Just a little trip down memory lane!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband grew up eating these!!! I really like how your sauce gives it that "grown-up" feel!!! ;) Guess I need to let my kids experience this meal too!!! lol... Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete