Sunday, January 25, 2009

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry


One of the biggest downfalls of living in central Indiana is the lack of truly authentic, good-quality Chinese food. Other than PF Changs, where the closest location is 30 minutes away, there really aren't any options that I can get too excited about. Due to this, I am always on the lookout for a good Chinese food recipe! When my sister, Rachel, emailed this one-- I knew it was one that I would have to try fairly quickly. She commented that the chicken had a taste and texture that was more like a Chinese restaurant than anything else she had made at home before. I would have to agree with her! The dish was very fresh, had great flavor, and was very easy to throw together. She did mention that mushrooms would be a great addition, but she left them out as her husband is not a fan of them. I wanted to make it her way for the first time, but would definitely add mushrooms with my next attempt.
Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
12 tablespoons cornstarch
8 tablespoons soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
4 stalks sliced celery
4 thinly sliced carrots
2-3 small onions, cut into wedges
3 cups water
3 bouillon cubes
minced garlic (to taste)

Cut chicken into 1/2-in. strips; place in a resealable plastic bag. Add cornstarch and toss to coat. Combine soy sauce, ginger and garlic powder; add to bag and shake well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil; stir-fry chicken until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Add remaining oil; stir- fry broccoli, celery, carrots, onion, and minced garlic for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water and bouillon. Return chicken to pan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Source: Rachel Guajardo

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I've made "stir fry" countless times over the years, but this was the first time it actually tasted remotely similar to what you would get at a Chinese restaurant! Definitely try adding a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar, some Worcestershire and Teriyaki sauce next time to the chicken before refrigerating it--it compliments it really well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering when you would start blogging. I love trying things from Christy and Annie so I'm excited to follow and try some of yours. I completely agree with you on the lack of good Chinese food here. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stir fry is amazing! Thanks for sharing it with me the last couple of days. It's definitly going on our menu for next week. Hopefully the kids will like it too.

    ReplyDelete